SAHARANEWS The Federal Government has approved the request by Governor David Nweze Umahi for the construction of a new International Airport in Ebonyi State.
The Honourable Minister for Aviation, Hadi Sirika made this know in a letter to the Governor signed by the Director Safety and Technical Policy, Capt. T.A Alkali on behalf of the Ministry.
The approval however, is subject to the State Government’s fulfilment of certain requirements;
- Strict compliance with the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority requirements
- Compliance with all relevant environmental regulations
- Adherence to the provisions of the subsisting Civil Aviation Act 2006, Nigeria Civil Aviation Policy 2013 and other regulations that may evolve with time
- Payment of statutory fees.
- Issuance of Security clearance for the Department of State Services (DSS)
- Removal of all obstructions on the site and involvement of the Ministry and its relevant agencies at every stage of the development of the airport to ensure compliance with Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs).
According to report, the new airport will s help in attracting more development and economic activities in South East zone, as well as in neighbouring Cross River, Benue, South-South and North-Central Zones.